Girlfuture.com is brought to you by Independent Girls, Inc., a new 501c3 non-profit organization whose mission is to educate and empower girls ages 9–15 to set goals, think for themselves, and have high self-esteem by introducing them to real and positive role models that they can emulate to achieve truly successful, independent lives.
Girlfuture.com aims to create a counterbalance to the celebrity-saturated, image-based culture of 9–15 year old girls and to give girls the tools to break free from the limiting and harmful myths promoted by the media that female success is measured by looks rather than substance.
We want to:
• Teach girls to think for themselves and to take care of themselves
• Introduce girls to topics, ideas, and careers they might not encounter in school or on their own
• Teach girls how to set and achieve goals
• Promote the idea that every girl should expect to be a financially independent, self-supporting adult
• Provide real role models for girls in the form of real women who have achieved success in varying careers and create a forum where girls can ask questions about these careers
• Provide a forum for girls ages 9-15 where they can communicate with each other about issues important to them
By giving girls strong, positive female role models and by addressing issues germane to girls’ healthy development, girlfuture.com will promote grass-roots social change that will help girls strengthen their self-images, open their eyes to new ways of looking at themselves and their future, and develop their potential to be the leaders we want them to become.