Contrary to popular belief, there is such a thing as too much exercise. Compulsive exercise is another way to "purge" calories and it can be as dangerous as Anorexia and Bulimia. The main goal when an individual is suffering from compulsive exercise can be burning calories, relieving the guilt from eating/bingeing, or to give them the permission to eat. The exercise may give the person a sense of control, power and self-respect.
Signs and Symptoms (May Include)
• Working out with an injury or if the individual is sick.
• The individual may feel tremendously guilty/seriously depressed if he/she cannot exercise
• Find time, no matter at what expense, to do the exercise (i.e. missing work, skipping school, missing parties, hiding in the bathroom, and skipping appointments).
• Not giving himself/herself any "rest days" or "recovery days" between workouts.
• Working out for hours at a time, beyond what can be considered safe or healthy.
Serious Side Effects (May Include)
• Injuries such as shin splints, strains and sprains, cartilage damage, and stress fractures
• Fractured bones
• Degenerative arthritis
• Reproductive problems
• Heart problems