DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria
1. Recurrent episodes of binge eating characterized by BOTH of the following:
a. Eating in a discrete amount of time (within a 2 hour period), an amount that is definitely larger than most people would eat during a similar time period.
b. Sense of lack of control over eating during an episode.
2. Recurrent inappropriate compensatory behavior in order to prevent weight gain (self-induced vomiting, misuse of laxatives or diuretics, starvation, or compulsive exercising).
3. The binge eating and inappropriate compensatory behaviors both occur, on average, at least twice a week for three months.
4. Self-evaluation is unduly influenced by body shape and weight.
5. The disturbance does not occur exclusively during episodes of anorexia nervosa.