About Our Founder
After recovering from a long battle with various eating disorders, Johanna Kandel founded The National Alliance for Eating Disorders (“The Alliance”) as a way to give back and make a difference. Since founding The Alliance in October 2000, Johanna has brought information, awareness, and support to hundreds of thousands of individuals nationally and internationally. In addition, she facilitates free, weekly support groups, helps thousands of people gain information and find the help they need, and advocates for change on local, state, and national level.
What We Do
The National Alliance for Eating Disorders (formerly The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness) is the leading national nonprofit organization providing referrals, education, and support individuals experiencing eating disorders and their loved ones. Since October 2000, we have worked tirelessly to raise awareness; eliminate secrecy and stigma; promote access to care; and support those susceptible to, currently experiencing, and recovering from eating disorders.
The Alliance offers comprehensive services, including:
- Free therapist-staffed helpline offering support and referrals to all levels of care.
- Comprehensive and interactive referral website and app, findEDhelp.com.
- Free, weekly, therapist-led support groups nationwide (virtual and in-person) for those experiencing eating disorders and for their loved ones.
- Educational presentations and training days.
- Unique and empowering Southern Smash scale smashing events and SmashTALK panel discussions.
- Direct, low-cost, life-saving, outpatient treatment to underinsured and uninsured adults in the South Florida community.
Over the past 23 years, we have demonstrated our tireless commitment to creating change and making a positive impact on our community.